Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Introducing: Robert

Met Robert last week while canvassing in Coolidge for STAND. We talked for a brief moment while he filled out a survey--and told me that Chattanooga wasn't very homeless friendly. He knows, because he is on the receiving end of that unfriendly-ness. That was about all I got from our first interaction.


After work today, I went to Clumpies and while eating a delicious scoop of Mint Chocolate Chunk icecream, I saw Robert and decided to go talk to him. I had a coupon for a free scoop of Clumpies (we handed them out as incentives for completing STAND surveys) and so I went to give it to him. He immediately recognized me and remembered my name (I forgot his) and so we talked for a little bit and then walked back to Clumpies to get his scoop. We talked a bit more while he ate; though it was difficult. It wasn't that the conversation was painful, but rather I really had no idea what to talk about. He mentioned he had just got back from hitchiking to Alabama and that he was on his way to a Methodist church in the area which serves food to homeless.


His analysis of the homeless situation in Chattanooga was that there were only two places that he knew of that served food, and there was no other place aside from the Salvation Army that offered shelter (and it was full of drama, both between "guests" and those who worked there. I asked if he had heard of New City, figuring they had a homeless outreach, but he hadn't. He was only familiar with the Northshore. I went with to the church and saw some people already hanging out around there (it was 45 min before food was served.) Hung out there with him for a few minutes, and then headed back to Clumpies to continue reading.


Don't know what to do about him. I almost said I am confused, but that's not really it; I just haven’t the foggiest idea what to do. I hope I see him again; but aside from a friendly face and small talk, I don't know what else I have to offer. I need to figure out how to witness to him I think, though I'm sure he has heard from the church. That is one thing that is so very difficult--figuring out how to share my faith; tell them of the hope of the gospel that I claim to believe they (the world) so desperately needs. I suppose you really believe what you do, not merely what you say…so what am I going to do…?


On a similar vein…there is the whole prayer aspect as well. Prayer for him, and the homeless in Chattanooga, is powerful…somehow...

1 comment:

  1. I'll pray too, Ben. It's weird when you have no way of contacting him. Maybe he'll be back at the SA for dinner tomorrow...?

    ReplyDelete