Monday, November 23, 2009

You are part of the "Great Congregation"

Psalm 40:10 "I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart; I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation; I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness from the great congregation."

Not sure who the 'great congregation" is, but I dare not hide from ya'll His steadfast love and faithfulness. So here's a testimony from a few weeks back.

Jeremiah 31:4 "Again I will build you, and you will be built, O Virgin Israel!"

On the surface, out of context, that seems like a nice verse from God to his people Israel, but this verse, in the context of the book of Jeremiah, is a radical shift in the language God uses to address his people and a turning point in their relationship with him. I hope so also with me.

The last month or so has been what some could call a desert spiritually. I would not however, because while the image of a desert makes me think that I am wandering and don't know where to find rest and refreshment. I did, but refused to go. More of an implicit refusal than an explicit refusal, but still a refusal. Funny how we have to relearn lessons. Thought I figured this one out in Rwanda...

So a few weeks ago, after working late in to the evening, I was on my way home, when I decided to stop by Miller Plaza and the fountain. I was pretty listless, and just sitting there, thinking about little. I had my Bible with me in my pocket. I'd kept it close lately, a subconscious admitting that I needed to read it, but yet I never really pulled it out. Finally, almost out of desperation, I pull it out and open to Jeremiah 31. How random. I had been studying the first half a few months ago, but never got to chapter 31.

Never again will I discount opening the Bible and letting God direct me to a passage. This was just what I needed to send me back to Him.

As I said, on the surface it seems to be merely a nice story of God loving Israel, but when you know the context of the earlier part of the book, you realize what an incredible thing He is saying. Reading over the first few chapters, and also looking at Hosea, God continues to refer to Israel as prostitutes, pointing out their whoring of themselves to anything and everything other than God. He condemns their actions in rather harsh terms, and things are not looking good for Israel. Then, as He works through their punishment and restoration an amazing thing happens, He calls them Virgins.

I cannot stress this enough: their Holy God has been calling and calling, doing marvelous works for them--only to have them turn away and refuse anything to do with Him. Though they run to other lovers time and again--looking for something, anything to satisfy--He keeps after them and draws them to Himself, and then He wipes away their record. In His eyes they are Virgins, the unblemished, pure Bride, for the perfect Bridegroom. Incredible!

Bam! Shot to the heart. Despite my recent distance, implicit refusal to submit to God and seek Him, He still is pursuing me and He will accept me back. Verse 20 reads: "Is Ephraim my dear son? Is he my darling child? For as often as I speak against him, I do remember him still. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I will surely have mercy on him, declares the Lord." He yearns for us. Totally undeserved, totally incomprehensible. He remembers us still--despite all we've done and continue to do--surely I will have mercy on Him.

Then, to help matters more, He gives us instruction on how not to stray--something that is so easy to do. Verse 21 " Setup road markers for yourself; make yourself guideposts; consider well the highway, the road by which you went." They were in fellowship with Him, and then they stayed, they walked down a road that led to destruction. So to in my life: it isn't a quick thing usually, but rather a process of little decisions, compromises and excuses that lead me down that road. So I read that verse, agreed that it was a good idea, and promptly closed my Bible and stood up. Thought better of it, pulled back out my Bible and journal, and began to write down what those road markers are: what little decisions, mindsets and compromises to I continually make that lead me away from Him. If I don't acknowledge them, then it becomes much more difficult to notice when I walk down that road. Now that I have identified some, I can pray through them, and be much more alert. Be sober, be vigilant for your adversary the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking who he may devour. Wise words from Peter.

So, an exhortation to you, dear member of the "great congregation," is to take some time to pray, asking God to show you the road that takes you from Him. Set up guideposts and markers and share them with a friend: Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will life up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10). Also, read Jeremiah. Its a long one, and full of "poetry," but the picture of Israel's rebellion and God's redemption is incredible. We appreciate God more when we realize who we really are, and so what He has done. We truly are the new Israel, not only as recipients of the promise, but also just as deserving of His wrath.

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. (I Peter 2:9-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment