Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I believe in Karma...

Listening to a song on my 45 min drive home from work today (I know, I should have been listening on one of Dad's sermons or something!) Despite my carnal choice, the opening line from the chorus sparked some interesting thought. "I believe in Karma, what you give is what you get returned." Started thinking about karma, and more generically, actions having consequences. Seems God has arranged His world in such a way that that is generally true. We can't comprehend anything else but cause-and-effect, because we have no reference for anything else (and indeed this may be all there is). Now there are exceptions to this rule everyday, and of course true belief in karma is nonsense, but we do well to remember the consequences for our actions.

In fact, this is key to understanding, or at least appreciating His grace. Realizing that we are not only saved from the power of sin--no longer slaves to sin, but slaves to Christ--we are also saved from the eternal consequences of sin--for the wages of sin is death. Not only is this grace manifested in our eternal salvation, but also in our earthly life. He does not see our sin, but rather Christ's righteousness. This is yet another reason why punishment is a vital part of parenting. If you teach a child right from wrong, and he learns what is supposed to happen when he sins, then he will be able to understand, or at least better feel the weight of God's grace, when he is not punished as he deserves.

But I suppose I don't really believe in karma...

1 comment:

  1. Ben,

    It's been neat reading your blog and getting a peek at what God is up to in and through you these days. Thanks for the "conversation" last night! I did some more thinking (about The Shack) and then some writing to put those thoughts into words.

    foreverhis.weebly.com/blog.html

    And I'm still thinking... :)

    much love and many blessings,
    elise

    ReplyDelete